Recipe: Trevally in Butter and Garlic

Wednesday, June 15, 2011


A recipe that is simple, easy-on-the budget, and a tested self-esteem feeder for kitchen- challenged moms like me for whom ‘simple’ means not having look up every ingredient in the dictionary.







The idea of preparing a special dish for our family is often an intimidating thought. I switched gears when I decided to become a full time merry mom and tried my hand on dishes that I could do by simply following what my gut would tell me to do. I know it sounds like a direful lead to follow but I assure you I haven’t failed in the last eight months. I mean it when I say ‘simple dish.’ I have had my share of tears trying to follow “easy” recipes that led me spending more time doing research than the actual cooking.

Salt, butter, fry, plate. It will be this easy, I promise you. Everyone on the table will be just as surprised as you to discover how an easy-to-cook dish like this can ultimately please the palate.

What you need
Trevally, steak cut, 3 6x3 pieces
Garlic, large, 6 cloves, minced
Butter, ½ cup
Salt, ½ teaspoon
Oil, 1 tablespoon
Olive oil (make it extra virgin if you have it in your kitchen)
Oregano

We’re lucky we don’t have to sport fishing shirts and go out to sea to get our trevally. Pre-cut fresh fish are available at most grocers making it convenient for moms on the go, and moms who can’t cut fish. I found out cutting fish requires technique, something that I’m not in a hurry to learn. The good thing about going to a good grocer is they do not only cut the fish, they also clean them for you. You go home with ready to cook fish. 

What to do
1. Salt both sides of your fish. You don’t want a salty trevally. The right amount of salt will give it a light flavor that will blend well with the rest of your ingredients.

2. Butter your fish making sure you cover the entire fish well and on both sides. Use only ¼ of the butter as you will need the rest of it when you’re already frying.

3. Leave it for about 5 minutes. This will give you enough time to do some stretches or skim though your favorite magazine. In my case, I have a 9-year old son who keeps me entertained with all of his questions.

4. Pre-heat the frying pan for about 3 minutes then pour one tablespoon of oil. Tip the pan from one side to another to cover the entire pan with oil.

Low heat and slow cooking works wonders, especially if you’re a newbie in the kitchen who is experimenting with a dish and isn’t always certain about what to do next.

5. Put one teaspoon of butter into the pan. It will melt in about three seconds so be ready to put in your minced garlic.

6. Sauté garlic.

7. Put the steak cut fish into the oil. To prep the fish I like to turn it over after 1 minute to make sure both sides get heated before I continue cooking.

8. Brush the fish with butter as you go along. Use up the rest of the butter.

9. Fry until both sides are golden brown.

10. Plate your trevally and drizzle it with a little olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.



You may also find my recipe @ Notecook. Just click that cute photo below.





Enjoy your happy trevally! 





cure for mondays is a WOMEN'S BLOG, BEST HOMESCHOOL WEBSITE, FAMILY ISSUES BLOG, HOMESCHOOL PROBLEMS, SOCIALIZATION, HOMESCHOOL QUOTES, INSPIRATION, MANILA MOMMY BLOGGER, SAHM, ASIAN HOMESCHOOLER, fish recipe, notecook, trevally, fish in butter

 




You Might Also Like

2 Comments

Tea Mates

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe