Fresh Oregano Tea from Our Tiny Garden

Tuesday, September 15, 2015


Our tiny patch says, Merry Meet!

Mang Gener, our neighbor who’s a great {and often inebriated} gardener, went back to the South(ern Philippines) and left us with beautiful pots of herbs. One of them is oregano, an herb that grows well even with a person like me around who kills every green thing I touch. We placed it at the atrium where it gets good sunlight and where we feed it “good food” every day. Everything’s been fine so far. Our oregano plant has flourished and is growing very fast producing more leaves than I know what to do with. Everything needs to be fine! Hazardous as I am with plants, I love them with all my heart.

We are growing our tiny garden one pot at a time. We started urban farming when Attika was barely a year old, but we lived in a penthouse and the winds from Laguna de Bay were just as murderous as I was. This time, I am seriously meditating day after day just so I’d grow a green thumb. Where I got the idea that you could develop green thumb escapes me now. Maybe I made it up.




I keep boxes of different kinds of teas in our cupboard and my goal now is to replace most, if not all, with fresh produce from our tiny green patch and we’ve started with oregano. My tea press was just sitting around, probably hating its teabag neighbors, but that has changed over the last few weeks. I’ve made mugs of fresh oregano tea, and I’m not going to pretend and say I jumped for joy the first time I tasted it. I’ve been using oregano in most of my dishes, but I’ve never had it fresh as a cup of tea. The discontent of my tongue only lasted a few sips though. My palate warmed up to it when I got halfway down my mug. A few minutes later, I started burping, and boy, that felt good! A happy tummy makes a mommy happy.

Make your own fresh oregano tea and enjoy the benefits.


You can use dried oregano leaves, but nothing beats fresh herbs. Oregano is a member of the mint family and it could be bitter depending on how much oregano you use and how long you infuse it. When I tried it the first time I just used three mature leaves. I wasn’t sure about its taste and I found out that three leaves were enough for my 8-ounce press. If you want it stronger just add more oregano and chop them. You can also stir in a teaspoon of honey if you’re a sweet tea kind of person. I take a spoonful of honey especially when I feel like I’m going down with something, but I never use them in my teas.  

It’s been quite a while and I’m sticking to my 3-oregano leaf, no-brainer concoction. Tell me how yours went if you decide to try it.


WOMEN'S BLOG, BEST HOMESCHOOL WEBSITE, FAMILY ISSUES BLOG, HOMESCHOOL PROBLEMS, SOCIALIZATION, HOMESCHOOL QUOTES, INSPIRATION, MANILA MOMMY BLOGGER, SAHM, ASIAN HOMESCHOOLER, oregano, oregano tea, healthy drink, weight loss, slimming, herbs, urban farming

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Tea Mates

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe